It's no secret, the best performing organizations are continuously championing for inclusivity and diversity. For businesses trying to enhance their diversity and inclusion agenda, the shift can be challenging--and eventually, worthwhile.
Unfortunately, determining what makes your team diverse isn't as straightforward as it seems. The simplest approach to understanding diversity is by highlighting the different aspects that make people unique.
While different elements define uniqueness, you, as a leader, have the responsibility to discern what makes your team unique. Establishing a work environment where your team members can feel appreciated for their diversity is the first step in making your team an inclusive one.
In this episode, we tackle diversity, inclusivity, and all the benefits that come with it. Whether you are a leader, an aspiring leader, or an advocate for inclusivity and diversity, you are definitely in the right place.
TOPICS WE DISCUSSED INCLUDE:
- Inclusion and diversity (2:50)
- Diversity is a fact, but inclusion is a choice (3:05)
- Making your team an inclusive one is a choice (4:15)
- Advocating for inclusivity and diversity (4:40)
- What it means to be disadvantaged (6:10)
- Leaders as champions of inclusivity and diversity (7:10)
- Being involved in your team's life (7:50)
- Benefits of inclusivity (8:00)
- The existence of invisible disadvantage (9:50)
- Mental health (12:15)
- Mental health as a taboo subject (13:00)
- Cultivating inclusion in teams (15:56)
- Importance of having conversations (16:40)
- Gaining trust and respect in the workplace (17:40)
- Why you don't need to have all the answers (19:15)
- Owning up to your mistakes (19:30)
- Teaching your kids about inclusion (21:18)
- Diversity and your children (24:40)
- Top 5 tips for emerging and upcoming leaders (26:40)
- The equality you see in two people is not reflective their struggle (27:11)
- Being the first penguin (28:40)
- Culture change doesn't happen until the first person makes a change (29:16)
- Diversity and inclusion is more than just marginalization (30:14)
- The square peg in a round hole (31:00)
- Shining up people's strengths (32:00)
- It matters not what someone is born but what they grow to be (33:23)